Hi Green Team!
This seemed like a great topic to write about since people are interested in learning how to incorporate more plant foods into their diets. Although I am not a vegan, I mostly consume plant based foods and enjoy animal products in moderation.
For most of us, a typical meal includes the meat and carb dishes as the main dishes with some vegetables thrown in on the side. And when we eat out, most menus offer over portioned, processed meals. The truth is that such meals are low in real nutrient density (nutrients).
Many scientific studies have proven the link between many health issues (diabetes, heart problems, inflammation, stroke) and the consumption of excessive animal products and processed foods. Instead of these unbalanced meals, I suggest is that we make plant foods the forefront/mains on our plates while consuming a variety of clean, minimally processed and complex carbohydrate.
So, what is a plant based diet?
A healthy plant based diet aims to maximize consumption of nutrient dense plant foods while minimising processed foods, oils, and animal foods (including dairy products and eggs). It encourages lots of vegetables, beans, fruits, peas, lentils, soybeans, seeds and nuts (in smaller amounts of up to 2 oz) and is generally low fat. If coronary disease is present, animal products like egg whites and some dairy can be consumed in small amounts.
Research by (Tuso et al, 2013) suggest the healing power of plant nutrition while demonstrating that plant based diets are cost effective, low risk interventions that may lower BMI, blood pressure and blood lipids and that this diet should be recommended by physicians to all patients, especially those with high blood pressure, diabetes, CVD, or obesity.
While it does take time to cure diseases through a vegan diet, it does not necessarily mean that one needs to abstain from animal products forever, but for a prescribed amount of time until inflammation subsides and then to practice consumption of small, portion and quality controlled amounts.
What to be aware of?
- Poor meal planning habits leading to poor nutrition choices.
- Overeating bread, carbs and processed vegan junk foods.
What does a healthy balanced diet look like?
The goal is to get a balance of all 7 essential nutrients and regularly eating from a variety of as fresh as possible foods, such as:
- Protein: Lentils, Split Peas, Pinto beans. Some vegetables have small amounts of proteins. Wild caught sea food in small amounts (RDA 1-2 servings / week)
- Carb: Sweet potato, Quinoa, Beans
- Fat: Olive oil, Coconut oil, Seeds
- Vitamins: Fruits and Veggies
- Minerals: Veggies, Grains, Beans, Sea food
- Fibre: Fruit, Veggies
- Water: Drink lots of water and warm water is great!
Think simply – mostly plants.
How to take the first steps to a Plant Based Diet?
- Visit your local and farmers’ markets more often.
- Try a Meatless Monday (This is where I started while in University) and later in life began to practice more days of meatless while still enjoying small amounts on less occasions.
Contact me today to learn more about how I can help you and your family make healthy changes in your life through my group and individual nutrition programs.
Being a results driven nutritionist, I believe that if you are focussed and you want to put in the work then I want to work with you. You can sign up with me in three ways before the year is over. New season and new reason to get healthy.
1)Fat Burn Flex ( WHOLE FOODS WEIGHTLOSS) – Next group starts Sep 21st. We are currently moving into the end of our first week today and it has kicked off with a bang! ALL DETAILS FATBURNFLEX
2) Luna Glow ( WHOLE FOOD HORMONE RESTORATION) – Next group starts Sep 15th. Click this link here to learn about the LUNA GLOW EATING GUIDE and online group coaching services ALL DETAILS ONLINE COACHING.
3) Six Week L1 Private Coaching (HABIT SLOW INTEGRATION WEIGHTLOSS)
6 WEEK PRIVATE ONLINE COACHING
4) Six Week L2 Private Coaching (LEVELLED UP HABIT SLOW INTEGRATION WEIGHT LOSS)
PRODUCTS THAT YOU CAN BUY NOW ON GREENBALANCE.CO
- Fat Burn Eating Plan BUY YOURS NOW
- Luna Glow Eating Hormonal Balance Guide BUY YOURS NOW
- Coming soon – The FIT N SLIM (Get ahead on your goals with an eating & exercise program tailored for 3 types of eaters! – Got the vegan meal plan, a simple meals option and the fast track results option.)
Don’t wait – a healthier, leaner, happier you is waiting for you!
Get in contact with me via email, whatsapp, Instagram or Facebook. I love taking the time to respond to your Q and A.
Annick G. Lewis Nutritionist (BSc) & Qualified Personal Trainer
CEO & Founder Green Balance
+1 (868) 778 8806 (whatsapp)