Live slim even after Carnival
Posted On March 3, 2017
I have heard many stories of how people lose 10 llbs in a week before carnival to jump happily & confidently into their carnival costumes. While I simply listen without judgement because I am curious, I feel that it is important to practice healthy habits all year round.
But then what now since carnival is over? Inflammation, obesity,diabetes, immunocompromised conditions, arthritis, osteoarthritis, acid reflux, low energy all still exist.
The SAD (Standard American Diet) that most people tend to resort back to which lack a high nutrient to calorie ratio plays a huge role in how these conditions are managed/ mismanaged.
The 7 essential nutrients are water, protein, carbohydrate, fats, fibre, vitamins and minerals. These are essential because our human bodies must obtain them from external sources, and therefore should be of high concern in regard to source and quality chosen for consumption.
According to research by the (WHO and FAO,2003), nutrition is coming to the fore as a major modifiable determinant of chronic disease, with scientific evidence increasingly supporting the view that alterations in diet have strong effects, both positive and negative, on health throughout life. As we are aware of the powerful effects of how we can use these essential nutrients to feed or fight disease, we must also be aware that as a collective we need to learn how to choose products on the market that are high in nutrients and are in support of a healthy lifestyle.
With all of this in mind, I am asked by my clients what do we do to keep this up after Carnival? How can we remain consistent when media and environments make it so easy to stray from eating healthy? I figured it would be great for me to share some of my personal favourite tips.
- Purchase good food to stock up the house.
- Keep your pantry stocked with clean snacks, your fridge filled with whole foods, your freezer with clean easy meals and treats (like Vital vegan soups 😛 / Dairyfree icecream for the 2 spoon craving fulfilment)
- Hydrate with high quality neutral water and throw in a slightly alkaline water a few times per week.
- Consume probiotic rich live foods such as saukraut, kombucha, kefir which support the digestive system and strengthen the immune system for better nutrient assimilation.
- Aim for balance of adding in a cup of soup, large leafy green salad when having a refined carb meal which may also be low in nutritional value and high in calories such as the slice of pizza or french fries.
- Aim for nutrient dense, high quality, whole foods that make you feel great instead of slumped down so that you can stay on top of your productive game.
- Journal all anxieties and fears so that your emotions are taken care of without feeling to binge eat or over consume addictive junk foods.
- Exercise regularly even if it is a 30 minute incline walk because your mind and gut will feel better for it.
- Stay accountable by hiring a nutritionist/coach/ trainer to ensure that you stay on track with your goals
- Aim for a balance and to choose nutrition that empowers and makes you feel incredible.
- Be grateful and give more love
These are my top 10 tips for living healthy lives year round so that the carnival body that looks great externally, also feels great and loves you internally.
Join up to any of my individual or group programs running this March to start living healthier and lose weight NOW.